Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Haley Young '14 - Denison University


Name: Haley Young (pictured front row on left)
Year: 2014
Major: Public Relations
Hometown: Loudonville, Ohio
Internship Organization: Denison University, First-Year Programs, June-O (June Orientation)
Location: Granville, Ohio

Internship Responsibilities:
My internship in Denison University's First-Year Programs office is something I will never forget. I was given the opportunity to intern at a small, liberal arts institution like Otterbein, during Denison's June Orientation sessions. This allowed for me to interact with Denison faculty, staff, student leaders, new students and parents. This new learning experience let me see orientation through a different lens. The was very important for me to witness first-hand as I have only ever been familiar with how Otterbein presents orientation to new students. Through this experience, I researched liberal arts colleges, updated orientation related handouts, edited orientation schedules, assisted the office staff, participated in June-O staff training, shadowed a student leader and my supervisor during an orientation session, helped with morning check-ins, and filled in other areas when needed. I learned to be very flexible during my time at Denison, as I was the first to intern in Denison's First-Year programs office as a non-Denison student.

What I learned:
The June-O staffs were very welcoming and supportive of me being there. I never once felt excluded because I was not a Denison student and that is what made my experience so great. Even though I was only at Denison for a month, this college will always have a special place in my heart. The friendships I made and the experiences I had were very valuable. My time at Denison has made me more excited for what lies ahead in the future, and I can't wait to be a Student Affairs professional very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment