Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Brandon Strausser '16 - SPIRE Performance


Name: Brandon Strausser
Class Year: 2016
Major: Health Promotion & Fitness
Organization Name: SPIRE Performance at SPIRE Institute
Location: Geneva, Ohio

Internship Responsibilities:  During the spring semester, I had the wonderful opportunity to intern as a performance coach with SPIRE Performance at SPIRE Institute, which is an Olympic Training Site located right here in Northeast Ohio!  As an intern, I was responsible for leading our academy athletes from all over the world, local high schools, colleges, and youth athletes through movement and performance tests, warm-ups, speed and power teirs, strength training regimens, and recovery sessions.  I am also very humbled to have worked with Olympic caliber athletes, Wounded Warriors, and professional dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy from "Dancing with the Stars."  Along with this internship, I was given the opportunity to volunteer with Nike as a performance coach at their high school football combine in Massillon, Ohio.

What I Learned:  I have learned a great deal from working alongside the coaches, athletic trainer, and physical therapist here at my internship.  In fact, I could probably write 10 pages worth of information, however, I will not be doing that for the sake of the readers.  Some of the things that I have learned are how to analyze an individual’s biomechanics and approach their weaknesses through corrective exercises, understanding that some exercises are not meant for everyone, and to not be afraid to make mistakes, which has helped me to become a better coach and leader.  Probably the most important and biggest take-away from this internship is that I have entered into a field that I absolutely love.  The saying is true: "If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life," and this internship has proven that to be true!

No comments:

Post a Comment