Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Kaylee Cialella '15 - Delaware County EMS


Name: Kaylee Cialella
Year: 2015
Major: Allied Health
Hometown: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Internship: Delaware County EMS
Location: Station 2, Sunbury, OH

Internship responsibilities: 
I am a certified EMT. On advanced runs, I observe the EMTs and the paramedics, but I can sometimes help by hooking up EKGs and assisting the paramedics on basic runs.

What I learned: 
I got to see how EMTs (step above a paramedic) deal with emergencies, because that is what I want to go into - Emergency Medicine. I learned how to be able to stay calm under pressure, and I've gained more patience. I've also learned how to be formal but caring at the same time.

Advice about searching for an internship: 
For the medical field especially, talk to your adviser and talk to their connections to find people who would be willing to train you and spend extensive hours with you. Also, talk to a student who is a year or two older than you to find out what they've done that’s helped them.

Advice about how to make the most of an internship experience: 
Ask questions because whoever you're working with will be more than willing to help you out and to talk about anything you have questions on. Also, if you see something that interests you within the field, do further research on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment