Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Jami Aufderbeck '16 - New U Program, Nationwide Children's Hospital



Jami Aufderbeck 
Class of 2016
Major: Allied Health 
Minor: Nutrition 
Internship Organization: New U Program, Nationwide Children's Hospital
Location: Columbus, OH

Internship Responsibilities: New U is a 12-week weight loss program for overweight and obese children age 11-18. Each week the patient and a parent attends a nutrition lecture and two 60 minute sessions of physical activity. As an intern I was responsible for leading the exercises, conducting patient interviews, and performing goal setting with individual patients. I also helped with research, data collection, and program design. 

What I Learned: This was an amazing opportunity, and I am so thankful I was able to be a part of the New U program. I learned so much about future careers, leadership, and communication. I learned how to get a group of 11-18 year olds under control, and how to keep them focused and motivated throughout the exercises. This experience is truly something I will treasure. I loved working with all the kids and seeing them improve throughout their time in the program. It was a great feeling knowing that I was making a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment