Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Alanna Schutlz '15 -- Orthopedic One


Name: Alanna Schultz
Class Year: 2015
Major: Allied Health
Internship Site: Orthopedic One

What I Learned:
Upon finishing my internship for Allied Health I have reflected a lot about the journey that the semester had taken me on. Not only did I learn an abundant amount of information outside the classroom through this internship, but also got to experience 125 hours in a real life PT headquarters. Not many people get to be enrolled in a school that fosters this type of growth outside of the classroom. Shadowing for an extended period of time allowed me to ponder how blessed I am to be a part of an amazing academic institution. An institution that cares for the overall well-being of the student and wants them to grow in every single area of their life.

I grew throughout the course of my internship in a lot of different areas. For example, I used to be pretty intimidated by adults. I am comfortable being around peers but for some reason I was afraid I would lose all my knowledge if a therapist asked me a question about something I had learned in the classroom. I was so scared to give a wrong answer. By the end of my internship, I felt so comfortable around all the therapists and definitely felt that I could be my goofy self around older, more experienced professionals and they would still respect me.

I look at my internship as this hill that I had to climb. In the beginning it was hard but I had to keep climbing up that hill until I reached the top and was able to reach the point where I was comfortable around everyone. Once I hit that point, my internship became a place where I could learn and have some fun at the same time, which is my favorite combination. Even though sometimes it was hard interning at Orthopedic One knowing that this profession isn’t right for me, it challenged me use it as a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment