Through this blog, we will spotlight Otterbein students who are engaging in internships and professional experiences in a variety of industries and geographic locations. We will also share tips and advice on searching for internships and making the most of internship experiences.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Michelle Axe '15 - Nationwide Children's Hospital





Name: Michelle Axe
Class Year: 2015
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Chemistry minor
Hometown: Marysville, Ohio
Internship: Intern at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in the Emergency Department
Location: Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio


Internship Responsibilities: 
As an intern in the Emergency Department, I enroll eligible patients in research studies being conducted by the hospital. This requires knowledge about the various studies, as well as data entry for the studies.

What I learned: 
This internship has really advanced my medical knowledge. I have access to patient charts to aid in determining eligibility for studies, and a great amount can be learned from these charts. I’ve also learned how to effectively communicate with patients, families, and health care providers in busy, high stress situations. My internship at Nationwide Children’s has been a wonderful experience, and has further solidified my desire to pursue a career as a physician.


Advice about searching for an internship: 
Talk to your professors! I found out about this internship through Dr. John Tansey. It was not posted anywhere, and previously the program has only had interns from OSU. Talking to your professors can provide opportunities you might not find on your own.

Advice on how to make the most of an internship experience: 
Make an effort to learn something new each and every time you’re working. Each time I go to Children’s, I learn something new from reading through the charts and I also get the chance to participate in research and better my communication with both patients and families.

No comments:

Post a Comment